Ways To Volunteer
Margaret, one of our regular volunteers, walking “the Fraggles”—three Norwich terriers.
Our ultimate goal is that all of our shelter animals will eventually find their forever homes. By volunteering, you’re helping to achieve that goal.
Volunteers assist with a variety of important tasks, both at the shelter and off-site.
- Pet Bathing and Grooming: Bathers and groomers work with animals in our adoptable wards. Cats and dogs are brushed, bathed and treated for fleas as needed.
- Pet Socialization: Walk a dog . . . or cuddle a cat! RCHS depends on volunteers to walk and play with the animals. Regular play time provides exercise and relief from stress, and is a great way to interact with our homeless pets.
- Kennel and facility cleaning: The kennels and cat houses are thoroughly cleaned once daily, but maintaining the animal living quarters requires constant attention.
- Dish washing: We may be providing food and fresh water to as many as 100 animals each day. Every day the food bowls must be washed and sanitized. This usually takes place in the morning and volunteer help in the food preparation room is always appreciated.
- Laundry: Feeding the washers and dryers is also a daily task. Each animal is provided with a clean towel or blanket daily so doing laundry is an on-going chore.
- Repair work & grounds keeping: The shelter often needs volunteers with special skills, such as carpentry, plumbing, painting, electrical work, building maintenance and gardening (weeding, trimming shrubs, mowing).
- Desk management: Answering the phone, taking messages, data entry. Our volunteers do it all!
- Photography: Special events, both on- and off-site, are often under-publicized because no one had the time or thought to take pictures! Photos of the animals are also needed for kennel identification, poster-making, adoption exposure, and the RCHS website.
The Power of One
After a day at the shelter, each RCHS volunteer returns home knowing they did something special for a four-legged friend; that every animal we connected with had a better day because of something we did. That’s a great feeling!
- Fundraising event work: Check out our News & Events section or contact us to find out what fundraisers are in the works and volunteer to help with those that appeal to you. Have any ideas? We would love to have your input!
- Sign/poster distribution and removal: To promote our events!
- Assistance with off-site adoption events: These are typically held during the spring and summer, when we transport animals available for adoption to various community locations and events.
These events have been highly successful in promoting adoption.
- Funds solicitation: Do you have co-workers, friends or relatives who are dedicated pet lovers and animal advocates who may wish to help by providing sponsorship to a fundraising event or other campaign? Then we need your help!
For more information, download our volunteer brochure.
If you're ready to get started, fill out our online volunteering inquiry form, or download the volunteer application, fill it out, and either mail it to us or bring it by during normal business hours.
If you have questions or ideas about volunteering, contact us!
How You Can Help
Learn more about how you can help the animals by adopting, sponsoring or fostering a pet; donating money or supplies; or volunteering with RCHS.